Friday, November 11, 2011

Finally, I'm back

Well, I took a long break from blogging.  Crazy as it is, life does get in the way sometimes.  I was away most of September.  Got home and decided to get a bunch of fall work done.  You know, clean up the yard, put all the gardening tools away, put the wood in for the winter...all that stuff.  Then I was called into work for a few weeks.  I know, I am retired, but my former boss (and friend) had someone quit unexpectedly and was swamped with work so gave me a call.  I was more than happy to help out and enjoyed it immensely.  I really miss the social interaction a person gets when they are working.  But not enough to come out of retirement :-).
Anyway, I was doing some card making over this time.  Just not blogging.  Now I would like to show you some of the stuff I was working on.
This first card is one I made for a sketch challenge on CST.


I had a few people inquire about how I made the frame so I made another card and took a few pics.  This is the next card I made and a mini tutorial on how I made it.

Although it does not show up well, the light layer is a light blue, not white.  I did bleach out the snowman and snowballs.
First, I used my nestabilities to cut out a rectangle from some thin foam rubber that I have.  If you don't have the foam rubber, you could use a thin fiber batting or even layers of paper towels. And if you don't have nestabilities, you can jsut cut the frame with scissors. 

The next size up of nestabilitie does not make an even frame, so I just cut the frame to the size I wanted.  I then laid the foam frame on the beautiful pliable paper from Paper Ya (a wonderful shop on Granville Island in Vancouver that specializes in paper) that I bought several years ago.  I must admit that I have been hoarding this paper for over seven years.  I know this because I bought it before my DH passed away. 
 
NO MORE HOARDING.
I am getting far to old to hoard.  One day I will die and all my beautiful STUFF would  be left, not especially appreciated by my children who would  have to decide what to do with it all.
Sorry about this rant, but I just wanted to give a heads up to everyone that keeps stuff, because it is just to beautiful to use.  What are you keeping it for?

I then used a smaller nestabilitie and cut out the center of the paper.  This step is important bcause you will want the center of the frame to lay flat.


 

I then cut a piece of cs the same size as the foam frame and glued the fame to the cs. I put a layer of double sided tape around the inside layer of the foam frame, but did not take off the top release layer just yet.  I centered the paper over the frame and taped it down on the back, mitering the corners to make sharp corners.

Then I clipped the inside corners of the paper, took off the top layer of the tape and taped the paper down to the cs.

All that was left to do was glue down my image that I stamped, colored and cut with the same nestabitlitie that I used to cut the foam.  I then added that to my base card and finished it off.
Here is another card that I did in the same way.

These cards are a lot of fun to make and really, they are simple to do.  One of the nice things about them is that they add a lot of dimention to a card, but squish down flat and can be mailed for regular postage.

I hope you enjoyed my post today. Please leave a comment or email me if you have any questions.

And now I am off to our local Rememberance Day Ceremony.  Please take a moment to remember.

Take care.
Theresa in Kitiamt

2 comments:

Gail said...

Welcome back!
Great cards & thanks for telling us how to make the frame!

Marlene said...

Wondered where you'd gone! Welcome back!!

Your cards are beautiful...and I totally agree! Use up that stash! You bought it to use it, not hoard it. :) Okay, now I need to follow my own advice.