Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Finally home

Well, I am finally home, after almost a month in Alberta.  Left 20+ degree weather and have been enduring torrential rains since I got home.  Lucky me.  And the weather is still great in Alberta.  I should have stayed for another week or so.  I have not crafted anything since I got home.  I have been busy unpacking, doing laundry and cleaning up the mess (only dirty dishes) left by my ds who lives with me (when the mood strikes).
My trip to Alberta was very productive.  My siblings and I emptied out my Dad's house, washed walls and painted the whole house, getting it ready to rent or sell.  My Dad (91 years old) is now living in a continuing care facility for dementia patients.  I went to see him every couple days that I was there but it was very difficult.  Sometimes he knew me, and sometimes he didn't.  We would have conversations that may have been based on events that happened, but were so convoluted in his mind that I had trouble following what he was saying sometimes.  He also has a lot of trouble verbalizing what he want to say and so gets quite frustrated.  Anyway, one of the main things I got out of our visits, other than just being with him, is that I now understand why my sister and brother do not go to visit him very often.  I truly understand.
Another thing that I know is that I have to declutter.  I really do not want my kids to have to go through the experience of having to say "Should we keep this or just junk it?"  Sometimes it is hard to junk sentimental things.  ( I have started taking digital pictures of stuff that is important to me but no one else, and then throwing the thing away.)

I experienced some wonderful benefits from my trip.
Bought lots of neat crafting stuff.  One store I visited was having a sale of 50% off all their cuttlebug and sizzix products.  Dropped a couple hundred there. Visited a Michaels that was having a 40% off on all punches, including Martha Stewart.  There went another hundred or so.  Visited some Dollarama stores that have bling for $1.00.  Love my bling.

I also got to spend some time with my niece, who was staying at my Dad's house.  that was where I stayed too.  She is 18 and sort of at loose ends.  We had some great talks.  I hope she finds her way.
I took some great pictures.  Here is one of them.  This sunset was taken from my Dad's front step. My sister wants to buy the property.  I hope that happens because I would hate to lose this to someone else.
Another great thing that happened was that I got a new fur friend. Here is a picture of him, Razzle, and his sister, Lila, who I brought home for my Grandaughter.  (Mom and Dad approved before I brought her home. lol)  Razzle is the furry one in the back. 
Here is another pic of him.

And here is a pic of my dog that is really enjoying having a new friend.
Oh, house training is a blast, NOT.
I guess that probably is more than any of you ever wanted to know but it has been a bit cathartic for me.  I tried to keep a journal once.  Couldn't do it.  Funny, how I can write things here for everyone to see but not on a piece of paper.
So, I am sorry this is a long post without any creative input on my part.  Now that my house is in order (sort of), I am planning on spending most of tomorrow in my rubber room and hopefully, will have some new crafting ideas for you.
Thanks for reading, if you got this far.
Leave me a comment if you think I am crazy for venting on my blog.  'Cause, I guess, that is what this whole post is about.
Bye for now and I hope I will have something more creative for you tomorrow.
Good wishes to all.
Theresa in Kitimat.

2 comments:

crafty49er said...

I so know how it is to clean out a parents home. My mom passed away 5 years ago this Christmas, and my 4 siblings [well not all of them really helped a lot] had to go through everything. Think it was 2 huge dumpsters,not counting about 5 trips to good will. I also would hate for my 3 kids to have to do that for me, but more than half my stuff is crafting [can I take it with me? LOL]. Anyway, glad you are back safe and sound, but would not want to go through dog training...happy scrapbooking.
hugs,
Ginney

Connie said...

I too, had to go through cleaning out my parents home. I grabbed the things I wanted, and then hired someone to clean the rest. I know, years later, of how many things I missed, however, when I pass, my son won't want it anyways. I know I won't leave tons of stuff, but my crafting stuff will press his patience!
I love both dogs, and hope that all is well with them.
Connie